Re: Dr. Moore Responds

Thu Jan 9 21:17:47 2003

Helen, I am wondering if Dr. Moore is aware of the fact that the U.S. Government has been aware of the severe problems that adhesions cause since at least 1932? Was it 1932 or earlier...can't remember anymore? They have known that it was an ever growing problem and failed to do something about it. Of course, there were the committments to have the states comply by providing yearly information on the number of cases that presented with adhesions following surgery, but only a handful complied. Maybe a doctor with the true concern that Dr. Moore appears to have can persist in getting the government to take some action into finding an end to this problem. Karla Helen Dynda <olddad66@runestone.net> wrote:Dear Dr. Moore, I applaud you for taking the time to read messages on the International Adhesions Society - even though you probably are a very busy doctor. Your messages tell me that Adhesion Related Disorder" (ARD) is just as much of a concern to you -- as it is for people, who suffer from ARD on a daily basis. Have you looked at the many ARD stories that are on the Adhesions Quilt? The following steps will take you to the Adhesions Quilt: 1.) Click: Adhesions Quilt (at the top of this webpage... " The Purpose of this quilt is to demonstrate the global implications of adhesions. To stand as a silent testament of the need for proper education to assist in a timely diagnosis of this life altering and crippling disease of women." 2.) Scroll to the bottom of the Adhesions Quilt page... 3.) Click: "Years"...and you will see the number of years it took before these women (and a few men) finally found a doctor, who believed their pain was real. My story is near the top. I had searched for more than 27 years before I was able to find a doctor, who believed me and then offered a diagnostic laparoscopy as being the only way to diagnose endometriosis or adhesions. The following two websites comprise the petition for an ICD-9CM Code for " Application of Adhesion Barriers for Adhesion Prevention." 1.) ADHESION BARRIER COMMENTS: Petition to approve a surgical code http://www.adhesions.org/forums/ADHESIONS.0201/0227.html 2.) ADHESION BARRIER COMMENTS: Petition to approve a surgical code http://www.adhesions.org/forums/ADHESIONS.0201/0228.html Dr. Moore, did you know that the U. S. Government - Centers for Medicare and Medicaid - approved the ICD-9-CM petition (Application of Adhesion Barriers for Adhesion Prevention), which became effective October 01, 2002?? I hope you will be inquisitive enough to read my st . Both SprayGel and Intergel were applied following my surgeries in January 2002. Dr. Moore RespondsFrom: Dr.Moore (bbm1969@bellsouth.net) Thu Jan 9 15:05:49 2003 Some pretty harsh responses from this board. I suspected that would be a likely response. I have had a lot of experience with adhesions and it is a very frustrating problem. And I have done a lot of surgery to remove adhesions (in fact I did a laparoscopic lysis of adhesions today), with mixed results. HD> DID YOU READ THE WEBSITES I POSTED YESTERDAY? IF NOT, WHY NOT? To dispel a few incorrect statements- 1) I am only 33, so my knowledge is not outdated. I finished residency in 1999. HD> DO YOU SPECIALIZE IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY? THE SURGEONS AT DUISBURG AND FRANKFURT, GERMANY SPECIALIZE IN LAPAROSCOPIC PROCEDURES -- AND ARE DEDICATED IN THEIR EFFORTS TO HELP PEOPLE, WHO SUFFER FROM ARD!! 2) Never did I say "Go home and deal with it" although this may be better advice than that given by some of the people on this website. You see the problem with "I did this and now I'm better" advice (called anecdotal evidence in medical terms) is that it just isn't valid. A real scientific experiment involves a placebo arm, where patients are given similar treatment but without the "magical" cure or medicine. Because as all of you know some people don't form adhesions- this means that sometimes "nothing" works to prevent adhesions. And that's where barriers like Intercede (and probably this Spraygel) failed. HD> CLINICAL TRIALS - regarding SprayGEL - ARE CURRENTLY BEING DONE AT SEVERAL LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES......GEORGIA...TEXAS...UTAH...ETC. I always tell my patients that if a treatment is not proven to work, but works for them (eg herbal supplements) they should do it. As long as it is not super expensive (eg flying to Germany and paying out of pocket for surgery) and isn't harmful (like surgery can be). Dr. K should remember the first rule of medicine, Primum non nocere- first do no harm. And if his treatment works, then prove it. It's quite simple to prove medical therapies work, I would love to start using his techniques tomorrow if they worked. HD> FLYING OFF TO GERMANY COSTS " LESS " THAN TO HAVE THE SAME PROCEDURES IN THE UNITED STATES!! Finally, do your own research. THE PLACE for researching medical literature is PUBMED. Here is the website, search for your self- the website gives you abstracts (short summaries of the experiments/clinical trials) and the original source so you can go to the library and look at the original articles. Here is the website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi Oh, one last point- The "you don't know what we're going through" argument also doesn't work in medicine. I don't know Dr. K's story, but I doubt he has pelvic adhesive disease. And I assure you that to be a good cardiologist you don't have to have a heart attack and to be a good neurosurgeon you don't have to have a brain tumor.

Karla

**Soaring with my angel**

http://www.geocities.com/karlasfamily2001 http://www.geocities.com/princessd82000/BraydensHaven

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: