Re: Surgery scheduled April 11, 2003

Sat Apr 5 08:50:13 2003

Sue,

I was absolutely shocked to read your posting yesterday. Because of my difficulty posting I chose not to post, thinking that others would address this issue with you. I see today that noone has, so here I am.

I don't know how long you have been a part of the IAS and its bulletin board, but I would suggest that the first thing you do is begin to read the adhesions quilt. If you would like, begin by reading my story. There are three Karla's on the quilt, I am the middle one. I, only recently, did a quick update of my very long story. Once you have gotten your fill of our stories please begin to research information that is found in the IAS archives. You can find them by visiting the website and going to bulletin board. Once you have clicked on bulletin board you will get a number of choices, one of them being to search the archives. I would type in the name, Helen Dynda and adhesions. By doing this you will get a HUGE list of materials that Helen has provided. Start reading this information slowly. It can be very overwhelming, but very educating as well. The most important thing that we, as adhesion sufferers, can do is educate ourselves.

Your email mentions that you will be undergoing surgery soon. I can only give you my own personal opinion on this, but that would be to look very closely at whether this is something that you should be doing. You state that they will be going in to remove your ovary and potentially your appendix and gallbladder. Sue, this is very major surgery and if adhesions are the cause of your problem it is surgery that will only make your condition worse. I suffered with polycystic ovaries for years, having had a number of surgeries and then finally a total hysterectomy. I thought that I would wake up a pain free woman only to be very sorely mistaken. What was supposed to be a surgery that would end my pain ended up being a surgery that only served to multiply my pain. With each surgery that we have, our adhesions only get worse. Before I had discovered this site, I had been begged by Beverly not to go through a surgery. But, I had to have that surgery...it was going to rid me of the pain that left me suffering so badly. I had to have that surgery because it was going to save my kidneys. I should've listened to Bev. All along I thought that my doctors had my best interests at heart, but it was only when the surgeon took the adhesion material that Bev and I had gathered for him to read and through it in the garbage can that I realized he really didn't care about me as a patient.

Sue, I'm not saying that your doctors don't care. But, the best thing that you could do right now is avoid surgery at all costs, unless it is an emergency. Take the time and ask your doctor if your condition is an emergency that can only be dealt with by surgery. Unless you have a bowel obstruction, I doubt he will be able to say yes. As much as you want the pain to be gone, you can get through it. I originally told Bev that I had to have surgery within four months of coming to this site...that there was no way I could last any longer. It has been four years and I still live with that pain. Perhaps if you were able to get good pain management you would be able to wait as well.

Wait for what? I know that you have stated that your surgeon operated on Superman, but that doesn't mean that he is skillful at removing adhesions. I have traveled across the country to receive medical care and I have seen a large number of world-reknowned surgeons who are the best at what they do, but not one of them was skillful at removing adhesions. Since coming to this board, I have learned just what to look for as far as getting a adhesiolysis that is done right. I have learned that there is only a small number of doctors in this country that are capable of doing a good procedure, but even given that, they do not have access to the one thing that is helping members of this site become pain free. They do not have access to the SprayGel barrier that has been so successful to date. It has not been approved for use here in the states as of yet, but it is available in places like Germany and at an achieveable cost. Dr. Reich, from New York, (and one of the few surgeons in this country capable of a good adhesiolysis) does surgeries in Germany with the use of SprayGel...in fact, he will be performing surgery during June and October. Please at least consider availing yourself to this treatment. I understand that you will make a decision based on what you feel you need. I did that myself. But, once you read my story on the quilt, you will understand why I am begging you to not go through with this surgery. Remember, your doctors can be the greatest in the world, but if they don't know the proper techniquest to remove your adhesions you will only end up worse off than you were prior to surgery. Take the time to research the appropriate technique that should be used and at least question your doctors as to what they will be doing. If they do not mention the meticulous removal of blood particles or foreign bodies or the irrigation of your abdomen with copious amounts of fluid (can't remember what type) ask them why.

Please remember that you are your best advocate.

Good luck and God Bless!

--
Karla

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: