Colonscopy risk and adhesions

Thu May 22 16:20:05 2003

HI, I am brand new to this board as of today. I am 43 and was told by my surgeon that I should have a diagnostic colonoscopy. I have a family history, but have no symptoms. I was researching this procedure yesterday, and kept reading that it was NOT a good idea for people with adhesions. I don't know if I have them or not; I don't think I have any symptoms, but I don't know what the symptoms are, and in fact, hadn't heard the term until yesterday. However, I have had 7 abdominal surgeries, 4 c sections, open incision gallbladder, tram flap breast reconstruction, (I've had 3 bouts with breast cancer), and an open incision appendectomy, last March 22. It was necrotic, and some colon was also removed. I guess my question is, am I a good candidate for this, given all my abdominal surgery? And what are the risks that are specific to adhesions and colonoscopy? Is is only risky to perform this if the adhesions are in the colon? I have a bad feeling about doing this, and really don't want to have any complications especially since I feel that it is not 100% necessary. On the other hand, if it is safe to do, and I'm not at any extra risk because of the abdominal surgeries, then maybe I should just toughen up and do it. I also wonder if it is too soon after my appendectomy. Any thoughts?

Best to all of you, Anne

--
Anne

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: