Re: Charlie- MRI

Sat Sep 6 02:18:12 2003

Charlie, Lumbar MRI is generally used for suspected lower spine problems. I have had several of these done in the past 3 years. I don't know why your doctor is doing this test if you haven't complained of back pain/problems. I would ask him if I were you. Unless he thinks you have "refered" pain arising from a nerve in your back. Most doctors will do every test they can think of to rule out any other problems. "Looking" for adhgesions is not their objective.....they know they won't show on tests. After they are done with all of their tests you are usually dismissed without any help.

I am assuming you are aware that adhesions don't show on "any" tests "unless" you have a blockage. Even then the adhesions don't show, just the blockage, but not the cause of the blockage. Laparoscopy or exploratory surgery is the only way to see and detect adhesions.

If nothing shows on all of their tests chances are the problem could very well be adhesions. We have all had every test imaginable, all negative, which is normal for adhesions.

I would disagree with your doctors theory about adhesions and pain! Most on this board and other adhesion boards "know" that he/she is wrong and that adhesions most certainly "DO" cause pain and problems other than obstruction. Theories like his/hers are what us adhesion sufferers have been trying to get changed with the minds of the medical profession. We live with it and definitly know they are wrong!! The adhesion itself might not directly cause pain but the organs they are twisting, pinching and pulling out of normal is what causes the pain. They can and do play a game of "tug-of-war" inside you....and that HURTS!

Our debiliating pain usually goes away after adhesion surgery (most times temporarily until they return again)and that wouldn't happen if adhesions don't cause pain/problems other than blockage! Most of us haven't had a blockage but we sure do have pain!!

Yes, it is possible for some people to have adhesions which don't cause them any pain or problems but you wouldn't be going to a doctor if that were trhe case.

You need to find a doctor who believes adhesions DO cause pain! JEAN (from PA)

At Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Charlie S wrote: >
>1986, stabwound punctures sigmoid colon. "double-barrel" colostomy for
>4 months while sigmoid healed. Colstomy reversed. Also lower tail of
>kidney punctured but was fixed post emergency room with laporoscopic
>surgery embolizing the lower tail of kidney.
>
>2002-2003 Finally I've been crippled wih pain in my left lower abdomen
>area. Renal obstruction ruled out, even though the pain was a little
>low for that anyhow. Barrium enema with contrast rules out any
>signifigant obstruction.
>
>Tylox and Vicodin make the problem worse. I haven't work in 11 months.
>
>So from Urologist to Gastroenteralogist to Surgeon. I finally get to
>the surgeon the other day, and he schedules me for an MRI LUMBAR SPINE.
>
>I don't think that will rule out adhesions, but the doc says adhesions
>are not a problem if the don't cause intestinal obstruction.
>
>Does anyone know whether an MRI LUMBAR SPINE is a test that is needed
>when I never Complained about a sore back?
>
>I seem to go back and forth with constipation and diahrrea. Probably
>constipated mostly. The only that works for me is 3 gallons of liquid,
>every day.
>
>Thanks
>
>--
>Charlie S.
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: