Re: Pelvic Adhesions - infertility - surgery....again? (

Fri Sep 24 10:34:06 2004

Janine & Anita, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have read through many of the messages on here and it is so sad to hear the stories.

As I stated in my original post, although I've always wanted children, I realize that it would take an absolute miracle at this point and I need to face reality and continue to accept that fact. That being the case, I no longer would need my uterus, tubes, or last of my ovary. Since I have this endometrioma on my ovary and they can't remove without doing a laparotomy, I have no choice than to have another surgery because I can't risk it bursting or twisting. I was thinking the smart thing to do would be just get the TAH/BSO and do away with the adhesions but as you said, that does not always mean they will go away. So I am actually thinking that I may be smart to have the surgery to remove just the endometrioma and what adhesions they can and not actually remove anything else. My theory is that if I am going to continue to get adhesions, why not leave the uterus, tubes and ovary in there and allow them to grow on something that is not really going to cause me dangerous harm rather than removing them and allowing the adhesions no other choice than to grow on the bowel, liver, bladder and wherever else these cruel things decide to go and cause potentially major problems. I sound like I am setting out a battle plan for war or something but this is just nuts! I've read some of the stories on this message board and I am well aware that my situation could be worse but that is exactly why I am here because I am trying to make a rational yet realistic decision.

I meet with my oncologist Friday, 10/1, and at that point I should have some definitive answers but I am so grateful to have this group to correspond with and hear what others have experienced and share.

Thank you again so very much!

~ Karyn

At Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Janine Love wrote: >
>Karyn;
>
>You need to know before you have a hysterectomy that having a hysterectomy
>may not (and normally doesn't) get rid of adhesions once and for all. In
>fact, (speaking from experience) it makes them worse and more dangerous,
>because they tend to adhere elsewhere, like your bowels and intestines. I
>had endometriosis and severe adhesions and had a hysterectomy, and now my
>adhesions are attached to my bowels, which is always a worry as they can
>strangulate your bowels. If you are susceptible to adhesions, the more
>surgeries you have, the worse off you can get with adhesions, so be very
>wary of having more surgeries, and make sure that you read the posts here
>and the quilt to know what can happen with such surgeries.
>
>Best of luck -
>
>Janine

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: