New member - my story

Sat May 7 18:26:08 2005

Hey all. My name is Rachel. I am 34 & I have been suffering from chronic pain for 10 years. I have had 14 or so laparoscopies, gone through many doctors, been misdiagnosed many times, have had my right ovary removed, tried alternative stuff & still no relief from the pain.

The last couple of years the pain seems to have progressed even though I go for cleanup laps every 6 months to a year. I am tired of being in constant pain.

The doctors have claimed different reasons for the pain. The only thing they ALL agreed on was that I do not have endo. I have been to some of the "top" docs in NYC. Many of the local docs I have gone to have not even bothered to look at my chart because they say I have been to the best. I also find that the docs say they dont want to do laps on me because it just causes more adhesions. I would love to tell them to live with the adhesions & then tell me not to have a clean-up lap. Even though my pain rarely goes away for very long after a lap, I still notice a dramatic change in what I am able to do for a couple of months after a lap. Trying to get some docs to understand that I am happy with 6 months of less pain is impossible. I am usually lucky at 6 months lately.

I just found a new doc who is willing to take a fresh look at me. She is the first female GYN I have ever been to. She is sending me to a ureo/gyn as well as testing me for polycystic ovaries. She wants to read my ENTIRE chart (hundreds of pages). I am hoping she can help me & maybe give me some ideas of what to do.

Right now I am currently 6 months post-op. I live on the fentanyl patch, as well as percocets. I have to take sleeping pills to sleep & Lexapro for depression. It is all so frustrating & tiring.

There are a couple of "good" things with all that I have been through. I appreciate days that are low pain days more than most. Some days I can wake up in the morning & say "wow, the pain isn't too bad. What can I do today". I work full time, so most of the time it is just that I can make it through an entire day & then enjoy a little time with my 15 y/o son. But even that I appreciate. After a lap, I can sometimes even go out at night. I am a single mom, & have been since my son was 19 months old. The pleasure of being in little enough pain so that I can go out for the evening is amazing. I think I can appreciate little things, like walking in the city on a gorgeous day, more than most. I have very few friends because most of them don't understand what I go through, but I try very hard to keep a positive attitude.

So, that's me. Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated. Anyone who just wants to chat, let me know. I find that knowing I am not alone in all this helps a lot.

Thanx for reading my long story.

--
Rachel

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: