Re: Surgery In August

Thu Jul 6 08:55:07 2006

Dear sdh,

I am facing my sixth laparatomy with my third surgeon. I asked the second surgeon to begin with the laparoscope. He had to convert to a laparotomy. He could not continue my small bowel resection because of my extensive adhesions. Adhesions can cause great visual obstruction with the scope, depending on where and how thick they are. Scopes are difficult to master for surgeons. They cause such visual problems for them. It's so much easier to see when they open us up.

However, if you have a surgeon willing to try to lysis your adhesions with a scope, I think he should try. He can always convert to the laparatomy if he can't see well enough to be thorough. It's worth a try. The four laparotomies I've had take many months longer to recover from. The more tissue cut, the more possibility for adhesions to form. Sometimes, they prefer laparotomy because they are not comfortable with their laparoscope experience. I have read that experience is the key with the effectiveness of the scope approach.

It's just easier for them to open us up and look around. Avoid the laparotomy if you can. All these open procedures have caused me more painful adhesions, scars, numbness, and a surprise illiostomy.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: