Re: Good News/Bad News

Fri Jan 11 07:00:02 2008

I can definitely relate! I also have endometriosis (in addition to adhesions) and have had multiple surgeries. I don't know how helpful this will be but, in regard to your questions about disability, I would first suggest getting a lawyer who specializes in disability, as others have mentioned. I did that and it saved me a lot of headaches! The only down side is that about $5,300 of my retroactive payment went to him but I thought it was well worth it! It's very helpful that you have all of the documentation you mentioned. As another member of the board said, it's not so much your illness but how that illness interferes with your ability to work that matters. For example, for my application, we stated that my medications (mainly the oxycodone) impaired my cognitive functioning, making it impossible for me to continue doing my job. It's important to try to give every example of why this horrible disease prevents you from doing your job. Someone also once told me that it helps to include something saying you need bed rest (or couch rest I guess!) throughout the day because of the pain - only if that's true obviously! And I think it is helpful to try to give an idea of what the day is like for you - that you're in constant pain, cannot do basic household tasks, etc. A good disability lawyer should know what's important to include. If you do decide to go with an attorney, don't be afraid to ask questions about his/her success rate, how long the entire process usually takes, how often a hearing is required. You have every right to ask those things. I hope this is at least a little helpful! Having just gone through the process, I know it can be frustrating and upsetting at times but, hopefully, in the end it will be worth it! Good luck! Debbie (NY)

At Mon, 24 Dec 2007, IAS Admin wrote: >
>From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of
>Booboolrb@aol.com
>Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 3:25 AM
>Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News
>
>I too have been suffering for years and getting worse.  I was just released
>from U of M in Ann Arbor.  The CT scans do not come back normal but the
>barium study does show my bowels are functioning, even though I have to
>drink Miralax 3 times a day and still have to use a suppository to get
>anything moving and then it is pure liquid!!  I have been told that I may
>end up on disability.  I am now on Oxycodon to help ease some of the