Adhesions and possible infertility???

Mon Jul 21 20:35:40 2008

To start off, I'll give you a brief bit of my history (or as brief as I can put it). I am now 25 years old. When I was just a year old, I had abdominal surgery for an intestinal volvulus, which is where the bowels twist, and they twist around eachother. My bowels were re-arranged from the surgery, so much so, that they had to remove my appendix because it ended up in my left upper abdomen (instead of the right lower abdomen, where it should be). My large bowels are located on the left half of my abdomen and my small bowels on the right. I never had any problems growing up, until I was 18 years old, when I had my first bowel obstruction. This was in January of 2002. In total, I've been hospitalized with 4 bowel obstructions since January of '02. In between hospitalizations, I have what I can only describe as "mini-obstructions". Its the same quality of pain and same location, it just never progresses enough for me to go to the ER. My GI doc suggests that adhesions are to blame for my obstructions.

I'm now 25 years old and am trying to get pregnant with my husband of almost 2 years. I've been trying to conceive since December of 2007. After only 3 cycles of trying to conceive, I was put on Clomid, after it was determined that I was not ovulating. The majority of women who get put on clomid become pregnant within 3 cycles of Clomid. I'm now on my 4th, expecting my period any day now, as I don't think I'm pregnant. I have a laparoscopic surgery scheduled for September 23rd, because my OB said that I have a 50/50 chance of having adhesions in my reproductive tract, which could be displacing my ovaries.

My question is.. is there anybody out there who has had a similar problem with adhesions and trying to get pregnant? I really don't have much hope for getting pregnant before my laparoscopy. I get these crampy type pains in my pelvic area, right on the inside of my hips, which I suspect to be adhesions. So, I just don't know...

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: