Re: bowel obstruction and fiber in diet

Sat Jan 3 10:55:51 2009

Teri,

I saw your message and it caught my attention right away. I had one ovary removed due to a large, ruptured ovarian cyst in 1983, which led to the beginning of my adhesion problems. In the years since, I have had a complete hysterectomy, several surgeries for lysis of adhesions, several bowel obstructions with surgery for a few, and still struggle with dilated loops of bowel and partial obstructions. I have tried being on a liquid diet for two years, off caffeine for five, high fiber, low fiber, etc. For me, high fiber seemed to be the worst due to the slow movement through my gastrointestinal tract, but none of the others has had a huge impact one way or the other. I do my best to drink a minimum of one gallon of liquid, preferably water, a day and do better when I manage closer to 1-1/2 to two gallons, actually.

I really believe that the adhesions react differently in each person and you have to find the regimen that works for you. For some, high fiber is the answer while for others low fiber is much better. I wish you luck in your quest for a happy medium!

I also urge you to avoid surgery whenever possible, as it will only make the adhesions worse in the long run. I manage to stay off narcotic pain medications except when I end up in the hospital with either dilated loops or small obstructions.

Again, good luck!

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Teri Mickle Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 6:14 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: bowel obstruction and fiber in diet

At Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Margaret wrote: >
> Hi my name is Teri and i am so confused about what to do about the
> two small bowel obstruction attacks that I have had in the last 9
> months.

4 years ago I had an hysterectomy leaving only my ovaries. In April of 08 i had my first attack wher i was hospitalixed with a small bowel obstruction for which doctors said was due to my hysterectomy surgery. Dec 18 08 I was again hospitalized for 1 week for the same thing. I had the Ng tube in my nose and throat both times.

i am extremely grateful to God that my intestine unblocked itself andI did not have to have surgery. i am so against another surgery, because I knowthat only creates more surgey. I have been searching the internet for a solution of what I am doing wrong to cause the adhesions to atttach to my intestines. Some web sites say I should be on a high fiber diet and some say that i should be on a low fiber diet. Please give me some guidance and insight on how to head off another attack.

Thank you Teri Mickle

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: