Re: Adhesions and Scans....

Sun Mar 22 15:31:32 2009

Lou, The problem with doctors is that they are so used to hearing so many "TALL Tales" about pain and medical issues, and with so many out for the "Pain Killers", that most doctors don't want to write a prescription for pain. So many have abused it. BUT... I very bluntly told the doctor, "You can keep your damn pain medicine, Just do the darn surgery and fix this problem and you won't have to worry about giving me any PAIN medicine!". Needless to say, the look he gave me was "Priceless!". He didn't expect that kind of answer. I then proceeded to pull out a bottle of Dilaudid and showed him that I had PLENTY of pain medicine and that it was OLD.. Because I refuse to take the darn stuff. I can't function on it, so I have to be in excruciating pain before I will. Once he seen how much I had, and how old it was, he realized I was serious. He knew I didn't care one bit about what he had to say, especially since I knew what the problem was and what it would take to fix it. I have dealt with so many doctors over the years and have done nursing myself, so I know their "in's and outs". I don't let them talk to me like I am dumb-founded. And it really "T's" me off that they will try to tell you anything, just to get your money for the visit and get rid of you. I am tired of dealing with incompetent doctors and especially the ones that seem to think they know it all, when they haven't even got a clue to start with. Most people would be shocked to know it, but when a doctor needs to determine what is wrong with a patient, most will go back to the medical books to figure it out, but yet, a nurse can diagnose a patient in minutes or less. Nurses deal with patients more so than the doctors. That's why a nurse will help you more than a doctor. Anyway, long story short, telling a doctor the problem is only the first step. If he isn't a surgeon, then it won't matter what you tell him. Because we ALL need surgeons. But they have to know what they are doing and be able to supply us with the adhesion barrier. Otherwise, the surgery is useless. Adhesions start to grow back immediately. And can reform in as little as 3 hours to 5 days. Any good doctor will know this and send you somewhere that has the barriers in stock. If a doctor can't do that, then you shouldn't be with him. 9 times out of 10, you probably know more about adhesions than the doctor you are seeing. Which is a shame. I am not trying to put doctors down, I am just stating the facts. Most of us already know this, due to what we have been thru. Trial and error. Hopefully the FDA will pass a barrier soon that will work for all adhesion patients. We need it and it isn't coming soon enough. To many are suffering needlessly from this disabling disease. I have thought long and hard about getting as many letters with signatures from adhesion patients and then carrying it to congress. With all the problems out there, someone needs to be the voice for ALL of us. But it does take time to get things like this passed. My thing, is proving that it is medically URGENT that something be done about it NOW. This way we don't have to wait long for the help we need. Who knows, it may get done sooner than we think. But sitting here (there) in pain isn't getting us anywhere. We need to FORCE the change to be done. God willing, it won't be long off. Take care and God bless us all.

Sincerely, Debbie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: