>
>Dear Rheta,
>    I have already sent a letter to President Obama.  I am going to give it
>3 months for a reply.  At which time I will see what has been said about
>it.  If no reply is given, then I will forward a copy of the letter to
>congress and to the senate.  One way or another, I am going to do what I
can >in order for all of us to get the help we need.  There has to be a point
>where we say "ENOUGH".  And to me.. this is it.  I just hope this works.  I
>figure about 6 months between sending it to all of them. 
>    Any comments or questions regarding the letter that I wrote, please
feel >free to contact me.  I pray this works.  God bless you and all of us.
>~Debbie

Debbie,

Yes, as futile as it has been thus far, we must keep trying to get this issue the attention it deserves- maybe we will hit pay dirt if the right source pays attention. I've tried a local TV channel's health segment reporter, as well as the usual Oprah and Dr. Oz, also CNN. Obviously it has fallen on deaf ears. I wonder sometimes if their attitude is simply 'Oh yeah, adhesions. They can't be definitively diagnosed without surgery, and surgery for them will just make them come back, and adhesions don't cause life-threatening issues anyway. That's old news and not worth covering.' I always try to refer them to Karen Steward's excellent book, hoping someone will take the time to get the entire picture of it.

Oprah said on her show the other day that Dr. Oz would not be on with her anymore- she will have him on soon for a farewell- apparently he is getting a show of his own so we'll have to see if it is the type of show that accepts viewer comments and suggestions.

I do get emails about adhesions from time to time that sound like they get it, but still not enough to get the attention of the mainstream medical community and the general public. There was an article recently about 'Top Chef' host Padma Lakshmi who was diagnosed with endometriosis at 36 but suffered from it since she was a teenager. The article mentions adhesions (endo is one of several causes of adhesions) and their effects. It was in Newsweek, dated April 29, 2009.

Another email came from what I assume is a newspaper- it was called savannahnow and the doctor who wrote the article was Dr. Joe Edwards III. The topic was pelvic adhesions, but abdominal adhesions were mentioned as well. I liked the way he said something to the effect that 'the patient can tell that they haven't felt the same since having surgery or some other event.' I think that is a great way of putting it. He listed several causes of adhesions: prior abdominal surgery, endometriosis, ovarian cysts (which I think started mine), sexually transmitted diseases, appendicitis, ectopic pregnancy.

Personally, I think this hushed, 'covered-up' issue belongs on an investigative show like 60 Minutes, but no luck from writing them either yet.

I'm with you Debbie- we must keep trying!

Joan

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: