Adhesion Help

Sat Nov 5 14:39:59 2011

Many years ago I had a ruptured appendix and peritonitis followed. Adhesions followed. I had surgery to remove the adhesions, but they grew back. Later I had endometriosis causing even more adhesions to grow. A hysterectomy was required. Now that I am older I have experienced multiple hospitalizations because of small bowel obstructions caused by adhesions.

It has taken me a few years learn how to control the pain and prevent the obstructions. This is what I've learned: As we grow older our bodies do not produce as much digestive enzymes as when we were younger. Foods that never caused problems when we were young begin to cause problems as we age: milk products, broccoli, beans, potatoes, cauliflower and more.

Moreover, as the day progresses, our bodies become more sluggish. Have you noticed that elderly people prefer to eat their largest meal at noon rather than in the evening? It's because in the evening their bodies slow down. Their bodies don't produce as much digestive enzymes later in the day. Consequently, after eating an evening meal people often complain of indigestion, bloating and gas. All my small bowel obstructions have been at night.

As the bloating and gas build up, so does the pain. The bloating is a result of gas build-up within the small bowel. It expands so much that it cannot be expelled because of the adhesions that cause a stricture. So I go to the emergency department of our local hospital and get a naso-gastric tube inserted and hooked to suction, with nothing by mouth and only IV fluids until the blockage opens--this takes a couple days.

What do I do now to prevent this problem? I take one Digestive Advantage Lactose Intolerant pill DAILY. I also take one Digestive Advantage Gas Prevention pill DAILY. When I eat problem food, I will also take Beano (about 4 tabs at a time) before taking my first bite. Immediately after eating I'll swallow two tablets of Symethicone 120 mg. each-it's same as Gas-X. Sometimes I might need three pills (120 mg. X 3).

I no longer have pain or small bowel obstructions. I exercise, take long walks daily and eat lots of healthy food like broccoli. I hope this helps others as much as it helps me!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: