obstruction of small intestine - can't tolerate fibre

Tue Aug 24 07:51:18 1999

Hi everyone, I can't believe I have finally found this site after months and months of surfing the web for information. I don't know anyone else who suffers from this problem, and I'm hoping perhaps someone out there can identify with this:

I am a thirty-year old female who underwent surgery as an infant, to remove an obstruction in my small intestine. Since then, I have suffered unbearably painful episodes of intestinal obstruction, which doctors have diagnosed as "adhesions of scar tissue." These episodes are characterized by vomiting, swelling and tenderness in the obstructed area, extreme, agonizing cramping which occurs every few minutes, and a feeling of bloatedness in the stomach. (probably from all the food that is not going through.) usually, when this happens, I have to go to hospital where they hook me up to an IV and shove a Nasogastral tube down my nose to "decompress" me. It typically takes about one to two weeks for the obstruction to clear on its own.

I have noticed, (and no one doctor I have discussed this with believes this,) that these obstructions only occur when after I've eaten vegetables or fruits, especially those high in fibre, such as cauliflower, broccoli, celery and oranges where the pith has not be removed. I have this idea in my mind that the fibre from these foods gets "tangled" in the scar tissue in my small intestine, thus "blocking" and "restricting" the passage of other substances. This has never been diagnosed (because all x-rays and barium enemas and all those newfangled tests I've endured all declare that my intestines are "normal.") But surely, it cannot be pure coincidence that each time I eat something fibrous my intestines become obstructed.

anyway, i have been told numerous times that there is no cure for my condition, as surgery to remove the scar tissue would only result in the formation of more. i am now at the end of my tether. doctors continue to tell me that nothing can be done, and nobody understands just how horrifically painful this condition is. i weigh only 95 pounds, even though i'm 5'4". people always assume I'm anorexic, when in fact, i have this rare condition i cannot even begin to explain.

i hope someone out there can relate to this, and tell me if there's any hope.

jennifer

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: