Re: obstruction of small intestine - can't tolerate fibre

Tue Aug 24 09:20:21 1999

Dear Jennifer,

Hi. I can relate to a lot of things that you are going through. I am 23 and had surgery 4 1/2 years ago to remove a large dermoid cyst and ovary and tube that it was connected to and I have a lot of pain from the adhesions this surgery left me with. Fiber is definately not the easiest thing to get through your intestines. I know this because I am on a special diet from my GI doctor. Since an unusually bad "attack" in the middle of July my doctor has me not eating any fruits or vegetables at all. This is has been really hard on me, but it has reduced some of the pain that came from eating. I don't think it is that the fiber particals are getting entrapped in the scar tissue, but that they do not break down as small as other types of digestive particals do. In other words, fiber is thicker and it requires more room to pass through your intestines. If you have a kink or a partial blockage something "large" passing through is going to hurt. I am not a doctor by any means so I could be off, but this is how fiber has been explained to me. By not eating fiber I have noticed a positive difference, however, this is just temporary and is not the solution. I have many of the symptoms you do (sharp cramping, throbbing, and pains, severe distension, and tenderness) After enduring a lot of lovely tests the eteroclysis (sp?) is the one that finally found adhesions kinking my intestines and that my intestines are stuck to my abdominal wall. This is the test were they put a tube down your throat and pump in barium. Very Very uncomfortable. Have you had this test? I hope this helps you out a little. Hang in there.

--
Rachel

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: