sleep and antidepressants

Thu Nov 4 07:14:17 1999

Hello to all!

I have taken the elavil for three days now and finally hit the correct time frame to allow 7-8 hours fo uninteruppted sleep. I have to be up and functional to drive my husband to work at 4:30 am. The three days of GOOD sleep have made a tremendous change in my perspective. I did not realize the toll of being sleep deprived! I did follow through with the first round of GI series testing and I had a friend come along to play cards with me while I endured the waiting end of the procedure. I also started taking the Celexa and I am not sure what is supposed to happen. I really feel that the lack of sleep, the pain, the uncertainty, and memories of past adhesion lysis surgeries were combining to put me over the edge emotionally. I felt like NOTHING was within my control and that I was strapped in for the ride.

Thank you to each of you who responded to my questions about the fibromyalgia and the combination of antidepressants. The pain does not seem to have changed but my husband says I am finally sleeping through the night without thrashing.

I plan on asking the doctor about this but I thought I would pose the question here also. What does the combination of the two antidepressants do to the pain threshhold? Does the fact of my being so desperately sleep deprived affect my tolerance to pain? It would seem that this is true...at least in my case.

Also...I have noticed that many of you describe your current BM status as laxative induced. Since I am on the beginning curve of this experience, would you post some hind-sight advice? What would you have done differently? So far I have remained laxative free and have used immodium products to control IBS outbursts. I am frightened by the stories that are shared here on the forum. The last place on earth I want to end up is in an emergency ward with a bowel obstruction!!! Thank you for sharing and you are all in my prayers.

--
Merri Ellen

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: