Re: Adhesionalysis Surgery & surgeons

Mon Nov 15 11:17:16 1999

Peggy & Theresa and all:

I can understand your enthuseasm about finding a surgeon who can deal with adhesions, or who is willing to an adhesionalysis..and it would be great if he too can do an adhesionalysis with a cure...never have heard that to date.

That is the miracle we all are looking for...BUT here are a few things to think about and to ask about regarding him and to him..ok? It is so important that when you elect to have another adhesionalysis, that you be given the best chance for a " full " recovery as possible today! Even though those of us who had surgery under Dr. Reich don't know how the outcome will be, but we do know his reputation for having a higher percentage of non reforming adhesions...and that gives him the edge on adhesionalysis surgery.

That will bring me to our first point with this other surgeon...need name so we can check him out further. Do not feel as though you " owe " him your total allegence for fear he will not accept you as a patient. Never comprimise your needs for that...you must ultimatly be the one to find out EVERYTHING that you can about him and his procedure, experience in that procedure and references for it! Get his name and do a bit of tracking on him..ok?

Next...you need to get his adhesionalysis procedure in writing. We need to see what is procedure includes that offer you something different then any other surgeon....you will be able to see that in the videos I am sending you! Go back into the IAS postings of June and read or print out my descrition of Dr. Reich's theory as to why adhesions reforem and why he does what he does in his surgery to decrease that from happenning...YOU must be knowledgable in all this in order to be able to know how good this new surgeon is....it is all up to you! Dr. Reich offers his procedure for review as this will give you the opportunity to know just what he does and has done in the past. next you ask for a contact of another adhesion patient who HAS had his procedure done...I communicated with a woman who had her surgey under Dr. Reich a year before mine...it was a great way to learn about the surgery, DR. reich himself and I still keep in touch just to track her recovery, which is one year ahead of mine. You must also discuss with him how many laporoscopic adhesionalysis surgery's he does in a year, what is his track record for success with these surgeery's, and how DOES he track those results. Will he video the surgery?

If you think that you will offend him, or intimidate him by doing any of this, then your with the wrong surgeon to begin with..this is not only YOUR body, but your LIFE!! You want to make darn sure YOU have all bases covered before you go into any surgery this time. This time IS different because now you do know what to ask your Dr. You do know much more about your disorder and you do know the repercussions of going into an adhesionalysis to quickly...think of what has happened to you in the past!

I know you just want to feel better...but is that going to be at the risk of getting worse in the future..NO! You are going to take control of your medical care yourself this time....as you want this time to offer you the best you can get with having adhesion disorder!!

If this surgeon is for real and offers hope to those of us who suffer adhesion disorder, then we are another step ahead, ..do a good job tracking these Dr.'s and you may just be opening another door for yourself as well as others!! I have heard the claim that Dr. Semertzides has a good reputation dealing with adhesions, but have never heard it from a patients of his who has actually had any adhesionalysis done by him. Again, one would want to gather as much information on the surgeon and his procedure and statistics of success before agreeing to any further adhesion surgery...unless it doesn't make any differnece to really know about that surgeon and instead, just have surgery after surgery until you cannot have any more at all. Check out everything for yourself and take responsibility for your own future. You already have adhesion disorder, doesn't mean you have to make it worse beacuase of desperation and sufferring...not when you KNOW it could just be making things worse!

If you have never SEEN abdominal / pelvic adhesions for yourself ( and most of you have not I think ) then let me know and I'll send you my own surgery and operative reports to study..free of charge! bnb@cybrzn.com Then decide just how YOUR going to handle YOUR case!

Just because you have agreed to a surgery doesn't mean you cannot put it on hold until you are better educated and have a better chance to know just what IS best for you! Best of luck! Beverly

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: