Re: covery time...

Fri Dec 10 14:14:24 1999

Gall Bladder surgery can be done laparoscopically - but you need the wisdom and experience of surgeons who have had advanced laparoscopic training...such as those from the following website:

Women's Surgery Group - Read the information on this page and then click: WSG Physicians.

http://www.womenssurgerygroup.com/

Laparoscopic surgery can be *Same Day Surgery*; and recovery is a matter of weeks (2 weeks or so).

My diagnostic laparoscopy in 1997 was supposed to be Same Day Surgery - but because of the difficulty of my surgery, I was kept overnight on intravenous antibiotics and pain medication. I had massive adhesions attaching my omentum to my abdominal wall (like these surfaces had been glued together), which my surgeon had to very carefully lyse (cut) so that he would not cause injury to other organs. This is definitely an easier surgery to recover from - if you have an expert as the surgeon, that is.

Laparotomy surgery involves about 3-5 days in the hospital and the recovery time takes about 6 months, I think. My friend just had an abdominal hysterectomy and her recovery is progressing very slowly.

- - - - - - - - -

At Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Rhonda White wrote: >
>I am considering just having my gall bladder removed since we know that
>it is definitely causing at least some of my pain. I have major
>adhesions around my gall bladder which makes it unlikely that I will be
>able to have the laprascopic procedure. Does anyone have any idea of
>what the recovery time (how long will I have to be out of work) is for
>open surgery for this?

--
The 15th century proverb which summarizes the purpose of medicine is:
* To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always. *

Enter keywords: