New to forum, many questions

Sun Feb 20 12:19:34 2000

Hello everyone, First of all thanks so much Helen for the information! I have been searching the archives but still have many questions. I am thrilled to have found a place to come. 14 years ago I had a c-sect. I had to have a blood transfusion, my incision became infected & 6 months later I had an unexplainable pelvic infection. My scar is not very pretty. =) 6 years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. During that first year I was very sick & also diagnosed with chronic bursitis, Raynauds & Irritable bowel syndrome. A little over a year ago I started having pain on my left side when I ovulated & increased left sided pain when I had my period. I went to my family Dr who said I probably had adhesions. She told me to bear with them or I could end up with surgery. At the time I questioned her advice. My mom died of breast cancer so I wanted to check things out. The pain got worse, so last summer I went to a new GYN. He suggested a laparoscopy. I woke up after surgery in horrible pain & had to be given morphine several times. The Dr told my husband over the phone that He didn't find anything to explain my pain. I was very upset. I felt that I went through all of that for no reason. But get this! At my next visit he said that I had extensive adhesions on my left side that were really thick & were way too bad for him to take care of with a lap & that I needed to have a "major operation" to take care of it. He said that they were causing all of my problems. When I told my husband he was soooo mad! By that time I was a mess with the adhesions & fibro flared because of surgery. I went back to my family Dr who put me on an antidepressant and vioxx to help me get the pain under control. She wants me to try to manage as long as I can & will send me to a different Dr if we need to. ( She can't stand the one I went to either!) I really like her but I don't think she knows alot about how to manage the adhesions. I'm sorry this is so long but I guess I need to vent. Today is a bit of a bad day. My family had to go to church without me. My little one (9 years) stayed home to help mommy. =) Here are some of my questions if you are still reading! Ha! 1. Why did the adhesions just "seem" to show up, since they have been there for 14 years and the c-sect was my only surgery? 2. Does weight gain or loss affect adhesions? (I have gained, lost & gained!) 3. A freind who is a nurse says that if I have surgery I would probably be ok because it took 14 years from the last surgery for me to have this much trouble. Does this sound wrong to you too!? =) 4. I keep feeling that a diet change may help me but am unsure what is best. I read the post about low residue diets. Is this what your Drs are having you do? Is it safe to start this myself? 5. Is it just a coincidence that everyone here seems to have fibro too? I have other questions but don't want to overwhelm you. Someone did ask in their post about antidepressants. It has really helped me with the pain of adhesions and fibro. I take 75 mg of Effexor now but started on a real low dose. I feel that I have some of my pain tolerance back & am better able to deal with things. Thanks for listening! Carey

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: