Re: Has anyone tried suing for damages ?

Fri Jul 6 11:22:07 2001

Dear Christine:

I went to an attorney myself, and he said that adhesions are a fact of life, doesn't matter that the physician didn't tell you that you were at high risk for them (cut me open instead of doing it laparoscopically), although I had four prior laparotomies and she knew that would put me at high risk, didn't even mention the word adhesions to me, before or after the surgery, received horrendous aftercare, refusal of pain medication, and ended up in the ER twice. The suffering I endured with no pain medication after my hysterectomy. Left me with massive adhesions, that I may be stuck with the rest of my life, destroying the life that I used to have. Just doesn't matter. Now he said if another physician would step up and say that she was negligent in some way, he would have a case. Ever see a doctor go against another doctor? I was mortified to learn that nothing could be done to her for the pain and suffering I had to endure. Seems they have to leave an instrument or sponge in you, and you have a case, but destroy your life - no one cares.

I thought about a class action suit (all of us filing for pain and suffering together), but don't think that would work either. Seems as though we could set a precedence for all future patients undergoing surgery that they should have be told of the chances of getting adhesions? Wishful thinking. I do believe in reading some literature at the ASAP discussion group that someone just won a case in CA for the refusal of pain medication from their physician.

You can sue for just about everything these days, except for adhesions that is.

Love,

Helen C.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: