Jokes/Sally

Fri Mar 1 20:02:45 2002

To all of you following the "debate" about jokes. Our lives are filled with pain and suffering. Jokes by their very nature are immature, frivolous," semi off color", and that's just the way they are. This board can accommodate all sorts of awful descriptions of our physical ailments. It ought to be able to handle a few jokes to cheer us up. I for one love the jokes. If they offend someone, I'm sorry. Sometimes, there are one or two that offend me, but I just ignore them. I have never seen a joke that is racist or bigoted or very off-color, or filled with vulgar words or mention vulgar acts.

There are lots of times when we, as women, have to endure things from society because it is only recently that we have become full citizens. It we take out our hostility about this situation in joke form, I'm sorry that a man or two is offended, but I'm offended that I didn't get the vote until 80 years ago, or that I couldn't own property for a long time, etc. It's time to let all that go. I'm still offended that when my husband and I go to the doctor about my medical problems that the doctor talks to my husband and not me. But I wind up getting what I want, so in a sense I'm using the system.

Since the jokes make me laugh and they don't make certain other people laugh, perhaps, I can still read them and laugh and feel better and the other person can skip the things labeled jokes. Would you like to deny me the right to our jokes, which help my pain go away. And please don't answer that they have no place on the board, these people are my friends, and if they want to write good or bad jokes, its okay with me. I'll defend them for doing it. If it helps one of us forget our pain even for five minutes, its worth it.

Some of the jokes do show a slight tendency towards hostility towards men, but we are getting better. Time will heal the wounds inflicted on us by society.

You probably will still disagree. I'm sorry. Wirth kindest regards, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: