Re: Jokes/Sally

Sat Mar 2 10:28:19 2002

Heck, I'm a blonde (well, not really) and I send dumb blonde jokes all the time, and even to my friends who are true blondes. It is just funny, not meant literally to be abusive or damaging to anyone's ego. If they are true friends they would know this and not take it any other way. If I have to pick and choose what I say or send someone then they are not "true" friends. It can be a joke about something pertaining to women in general or even myself, but when in the form of a joke I don't take it personally. I agree the board shouldn't be piled full of jokes but a funny joke from time to time never hurts. There are many jokes and they all have to pertain to someone or something in order to be made into a joke..... whether it is about children, women, teenagers, men, animals, etc.

Too many people take life way too seriously, therefore missing out on the good things in life. I think it is terrible that in society now-a-days you have to weigh every word you say every time you open your mouth or someone is coming down on you! I for one use to be someone very care-free and laughed and joked allot, and didn't really even need a reason. I could just make something funny out of nothing at all.

For many years now negative minded people where I live have stripped that part away from me, and to tell you the truth I really miss ME. I live in a very negative minded, uncompassionate, self-centered community who don't do much of anything just for laughs. People in my area are noted for being very "hard" and "cold". I am finally actually considering relocating in an effort to see if that helps my well-being and enables me to feel like laughing again like I use to, if I still remember how. I have lived here for 31 years and that has been way too long, and still not use to the people and have accumulated very few "good" friends.

I sure hope the whole world hasn't changed that much and it isn't just my area. So much negativity on the board does make me scared that the whole world could have changed that much.

I need to be around happy compassionate people who also have compassion and an understanding when someone has problems. If I am lucky I hope to find some new friends who care about people through good and bad times, through sickness and health, rich or poor. I have had MANY medical problems to deal with for many many years and some understanding, compassion, happiness and laughter sure would help me through these times.

Sorry I got a bit carried away with my feelings and this got longer than intended. JEAN

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org]On Behalf Of Sally Grigg Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 10:05 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Jokes/Sally

To all of you following the "debate" about jokes. Our lives are filled with pain and suffering. Jokes by their very nature are immature, frivolous," semi off color", and that's just the way they are. This board can accommodate all sorts of awful descriptions of our physical ailments. It ought to be able to handle a few jokes to cheer us up. I for one love the jokes. If they offend someone, I'm sorry. Sometimes, there are one or two that offend me, but I just ignore them. I have never seen a joke that is racist or bigoted or very off-color, or filled with vulgar words or mention vulgar acts.

There are lots of times when we, as women, have to endure things from society because it is only recently that we have become full citizens. It we take out our hostility about this situation in joke form, I'm sorry that a man or two is offended, but I'm offended that I didn't get the vote until 80 years ago, or that I couldn't own property for a long time, etc. It's time to let all that go. I'm still offended that when my husband and I go to the doctor about my medical problems that the doctor talks to my husband and not me. But I wind up getting what I want, so in a sense I'm using the system.

Since the jokes make me laugh and they don't make certain other people laugh, perhaps, I can still read them and laugh and feel better and the other person can skip the things labeled jokes. Would you like to deny me the right to our jokes, which help my pain go away. And please don't answer that they have no place on the board, these people are my friends, and if they want to write good or bad jokes, its okay with me. I'll defend them for doing it. If it helps one of us forget our pain even for five minutes, its worth it.

Some of the jokes do show a slight tendency towards hostility towards men, but we are getting better. Time will heal the wounds inflicted on us by society.

You probably will still disagree. I'm sorry. Wirth kindest regards, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: