Re: Stress & Pain

Mon Sep 16 10:25:59 2002

Hi Linda:

My name is Clare and I'm in Toronto. Please forgive me for not replying earlier, but I just read your post. Feel free to email me privately at any time; just click on my address which is next to my name above. If you need someone to "talk" talk to, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

I'm sorry about everything you've gone through lately. I really wish there was something that we could do to educate Canadian Drs about the unique challenges that those with problematic adhesions face. You are not alone in feeling that it's your fault that you have chronic pain. I've often wondered why Drs tend to make us feel that it's some type of mental deficiency that we have that makes us feel the pain from adhesions. I wish that there were more Drs who would delve into research to help us deal with this problem, instead of making us feel guilty because we hurt. Victimized - you said it girl....

I think that stress makes us tense more, and that is why it gets worse when we are under a lot of pressure, but that's just my theory. I've had flare-ups when things have been going really well, and I've had no flare-ups when things have been crappy, so I'm not so sure if stress is a contributing cause, or an effect of the pain. I do breathing exercises, make myself do something that I really have to concentrate on (to not let myself think about it), and I try to go for daily short, gentle walks. There are a lot of days when I really don't want to walk, but my dog pesters me until I feel guilty, so she's a good motivator. Some days I just can't; but I do believe that walking helps with the pain, freshens my mind and helps lower the stress level. Also, as soon as I feel things getting worse, I try to really up my intake of water, as that keeps things moving and a hydrated body works better.

Linda, please feel free to come here to vent anytime at all. We are a support group, and while sometimes no one is able to answer your post, just repost it and we'll try again. Believe me, anyone who has problematic adhesions knows that your pain is oh, so very real...

Wishing you pain free moments, hours and days,

--
Clare

At Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Linda P.C. wrote: > >I have had alot of stress lately & very distressful news. My Dad past >away Sept 1st. and since then it has been one bad thing after another. >I have had constant flare ups with my side where I have scar tissue & >adhesions. The physical pain as well as the emotional pain has been >more then I can handle. >I live in Guelph, Ontario & had to drive to Florida for my dad's >funeral. That alone escalated my pain. I ended up taking extra of my >perscribed medication. I don't know what to do. I barely manage the >pain on my regular dose, but when I get flare ups they get really bad. >I'm suppose to see my doctor this week to get my perscription renewed. I >know he will give me a hard time because I took more then what I was >suppose to. But everytime there is stress in my life I end up getting >major flare ups. And what I have a hard time handling is, that my >doctor & other doctors that I have seen, always minimize my pain, and >make me feel like nothing. In a way I feel like I have been raped. I >know that might sound silly, but I've been poked and prodded. I've been >made to feel humilated and ashamed by nurses & doctors. And there are >many times I feel like it is my fault I have chronic pain. They treat >me and the pain like it is nothing. The pain is real and I am a human >being. Doctors and nurses are supposedly there to help poeple, yet I >leave the hospital or the doctors office feeling worse then when I first >came in. I dread everytime I have to go to a hospital or doctors >office. There are other reasons I get flare ups, but that is one of the >causes for major pain. I can't exactly time when I will get flare ups >either, and my doctor dosen't seem to understand that. I can't go back >and undo all the surgeries I've had, which is the reason for my chronic >pain today. The last several years have been hard enough with the >chronic pain, but the last couple of weeks have been the worst yet. >There are some days I can barely get out of bed. My two sons try to >help & my husband, but I hate them seeing me in pain all the time. >I wrote this because I needed to vent some of my depression, anger, >pain. I have read many of your stories and can relate to many of what >you all have been going through regarding doctors, pain, medication >etc... >I thank all of you for writing your stories, because when all is said >and done it helps me know what to do in certain situations, and helps me >cope with the physical & emotional pain, in knowing I am not alone. It >also reassures me that my pain is real. Who better then ourselves to >judge the degree of pain we are going through, after all we live in our >bodies everyday... >I guess to I am tired of being a victim, because that is how I have been >made to feel like. I have read that a few people have been writing to >the Montel Williams Show. I would also like to show my support and give >a helping hand by writing to him. If anyone could possibly give me more >information & direct me in the right way I would >appreciate it. >I would like to thank all those who took the time to read my message. >And to once again thank all the people who took the time to write their >stories, to help people like me. > >MeGaaA

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: