To RobynD from Jo

Fri Oct 11 23:51:17 2002

Dear Robyn,

It is tough when surgery dates are re-arranged, it has happened to me too, so I do understand the distress the delay is causing you. I am very glad to note that you have looked at the positive of the situation... which is the fact that your surgeon wants his assistant to be available when he operates on you. It shows a true professional who recognises the seriousness of his job and understands that to give you the best chance from all this, he needs to be working under the best conditions. Having an assistant who is familiar with the surgeons routine and surgical technique means he can concentrate more fully on the task at hand, without having to make explanations etc to an assistant.

I also understand the work issue and the delay and possibility of even an even longer period away from work caused by the delayed surgery date and the possibility of longer recovery time required after a laparotomy procedure.

You mentioned that while the position you have now is new, it is with the same company that you have worked for previously.

If this is the case, then your work practices and standard of work will be well documented and I have personally found that being honest and up front with your employer is the best way to handle these situations.

I would make a call to your boss and explain the situation, ask your doctor for a letter for your employer (most are happy to oblige) and then ask if there is any work you can do at home, with the understanding that the completion of that work would be dependant on your state of health and level of pain during the next three weeks. If you give them good warning of the delays, it allows your company to formulate a contingency plan for the workload you carry so that it doesn't affect the smooth running of the company.

I hope my suggestions help and I wish you all the best with your up coming surgery.

Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.