Re: C-Sectiion, continuos pain for 8 years.....

Wed Dec 18 15:35:53 2002

Amanda, I'm rather confused and concerned by some of the way that you worded your message:

"I had 1 lap done but it didn't help the pain."

The reason that you have a lap is diagnostic, to see what the heck is going on in there when all of your non-invasive tests come up negative. The diagnostic lap represents a trade-off: if your pain is coming from adhesions then you will know for sure where your pain is coming from once the surgeon sees the adhesions, but the price is that the lap will make the adhesions and the pain worse. Your wording makes it seem like you have been lead to believe that there was some chance that the lap would actually HELP the pain. If you have been lead to believe this, then someone was and is misleading you.

"My dr is putting me on fertility med, but he also says we can go ahead & do a laparotomy."

If adhesions are causing your fertility problems (and infertility is a prime effect of adhesions) then having a laparotomy will dramatically LOWER your chances of ever getting pregnant. The odds are that a laparotomy will leave your tubes so totally blocked that your only chance of pregnancy will be IVF. And IVF sometimes succeeds but it usually fails.

"I'm trying to decide if I should ttc, or get my surgery over with."

It's not clear what the reasons are for having the surgery, but I think you need to work from the assumption that having the surgery pretty much ends your hopes of getting pregnant. So you obviously should not have the surgery until you are ready to give up on a baby. Sure, it's possible that you will get a miracle (it's not a hysterectomy after all) but after more surgery the odds will be stacked against you much much worse than they are now.

At Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Amanda wrote: >
>--
>Hi Tiffany-I have had constant pain since my c-section in '99. I had 1 lap done but it didn't help the pain. I was wondering-I guess you had adhesions during your second pregnancy? Was it painful? I've been ttc for 16 mths, & had 1 mc. My dr is putting me on fertility med, but he also says we can go ahead & do a laparotomy. I'm trying to decide if I should ttc, or get my surgery over with. Oh-my pain feels like sharp pains under my ribs, dull aching or throbbing around my stomache & lower back-painful all the time.
>Thanks for any info!
>

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: