Re: Be more than a statisic, be a pioneer! Leave your story on the Quilt

Tue Jan 21 07:29:39 2003

Dawn, No problem. I also know a lot about copyrights. Just understand, that SICK women simply wanted me to print their little story about themselves from the quilt page and I was not allowed to do it, even with the woman e mailing me with permission to print her story--I still did not have a release from David Wiseman. You believe that "protects" you all you want, just explain to me what you want protection from?? I HAD PERMISSION FROM THE WOMEN---BUT NOT FROM SYNECHION. And yes, I spent an hour last night reading Karla's site. I went to bed and couldn't sleep for the grief that overwhelmed me. She sent me her story and in the letter told me how saddened she was that I was not allowed to print it from the site! The quilt IS great--just don't lead women to believe that it belongs to them Karen -------Original Message------- From: adhesions@adhesions.org Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 06:03:14 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Be more than a statisic, be a pioneer! Leave your story on the Quilt Dearest Karen, I did not mean to stir up old bones either. I know how hard you worked on that project and the furvor it caused. I hope it stops here. I did not mean to bring back ANYTHING that detracts from our main goal.If I offended you or anyone please accept my deepest apology. I never commented at the time of the original uproar as it all deeply saddned me.I have recently talked to a dear fellow sufferer about this and I do understand this point of view . After this call I had a long conversation with my companion James about copyright law and he explained many things about it to me. I believe it is a good thing now as there are truely predators out there. They have contacted some of the most desparate sufferers and offered them money even, to exploit their suffering for there own gain. One was even promised money and it was never recieved. All this information is available thru the terms and conditions of use on the home page of this sight. I looked there for the first time just the other day. I understand why Dr. Wiseman felt it time to impliment rules at that time as this forum was a complete free for all where the realization set in that many bad things could happen. I have spoken to DR. Wiseman before and I beg you to believe me that he has no financial gain by operation this site and never will. To the contrary, he has spent thousands of his own money keeping this place alive and his motivation is purely altruistic.It is true that both Jo and Dr. W. own copyright to both site but neither of them have any other thought in their mind other to help us and sadly, to have to protect us.They would never ever use use for their own financial gain. I myself thinking I was doing nothing but good, e mailed every person on the quilt here in my state to ask permission to use their story from the quilt and recieved an okay from all who answered. I even went out and bought a printer I could ill afford to cut, paste and print. I now see why the added step of having the sufferer send their own story is needed. In a day both sites could be gone due to one litigous matter or another. Where would that leave us? Both Dr. W. and Jo could find themselves in deep do do. A series of events happened that day that seemed to compel me to write that post.. The talk with a dear friend who is a true soldier to the cause. a talk about copyright laws with someone who knows about them on an international level.Then (please forgive me) Karla near death in the hospital. She has helped me so. When I sometimes feel sorry for myself I read her story on the quilt. I went there late that night as I could not sleep. I read her story on both sites and there it was a badge of courage for us all, a true gift from her to all who suffer.Proudly written for all the world to see. Karlas not one to mince words or give a carp about what others think. Her message is clear, listen to me cuz I don't want this to happen to ANYONE else! Please all forgive me to use her name at this solemn time but it was the motivational key to that post. Well I wrestled it around awhile. I try to work the boards as best I can and reach out to newcomers especially. I urge them to put there story on the quilt. I feel it is a tool of advocacy for us to use with in. If I can help someone I try to see where they live and if they have kids...are they my age and can relate to things from a generational aspect and most of all, how they suffer and what from. Many who have been here for so long, whom I consider leaders sort of to the forum...pulled their stories from the quilt and have never placed them back. Some fear to put them in in the first place. Dearest Karen, I hope you understand why and how I made that post that morning. I understand for sure your point of view as you only wanted to protect your daughter and others. I hope I conveyed my point clearly and I will up it one notch. If I have maybe shed new perspective on the issue, Karen, word from you would carry great stow with others. I ask you to reconsider and maybe help bring back the quilt even bigger that ever. Please feel free to e mail me anytime and especially concerning this issue perhaps we could take it off the board and talk privately. Anyone else please email me as well. I am open to all points of view. I just ask that the boards be left as they are and no more contraversy arises if I have posted this in idiocy...which would not be the first time. Much love, Dawn
--

>
>.
>

--
I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer like you but I hope you consider me a
new friend.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: