Adhesions and depression

Wed Mar 26 19:57:40 2003

Hi everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I posted last due to pain level. I went and saw a surgeon today who I saw about a month ago. He wanted to review my records and decide what he thought needed to be done. After seeing him today, I am totally frustrated! I have seen several doctors over the last year and a half trying to get all this mess with my body handled. Every time I see a new doctor, I tell them what I already know, that I have adhesions, bladder problems, and an ovary that has grown back which is producing cysts, along with a few other things. And every one of them runs a few new tests, examines me, and reviews my records. Then they tell me what they found which is exactly what I came in there telling them. Has anyone else had this problem? My gosh! I think I know what is going on in my own body! All I get back from them is what I already know and have already told them that I had wrong with me! I want to scream! Then today, the surgeon told me that he thought that I needed to talk to a psychologist about the stress in my life. He said that I am spending all my efforts on what is wrong with me. Now, to me, if there is something wrong with your body you need to educate yourself and work on getting that problem fixed. He said that stress can make you either have chest pains or abdominal pains. Has anyone ever heard this before? I realize that people can have digestive problems due to stress, but just a general "abdominal pains"? I told him that my only problem is that I can't find a doctor who will treat me humanely and, of course I am under stress because I can't take care of my family the way I want to or find a doctor who will take care of the problem. He said that he has operated on many people and they all have adhesions, but adhesions do not particularly cause pain and it is probably something other than adhesions causing me pain. Then he again told me he felt like I should go talk to this psychologist who could help me manage the stress and that should help my pain. I told him that I have been on several different anti-depressants through my pain management doctor and all they did was make me gain weight. He said he wasn't talking about anti-depressants. Anyway, he also kept asking me if I had tried taking other non-narcotic medications to manage the pain. I was so glad that my husband was with me. We went through everything that we have tried for pain management: Ultram, Toradol, tens units, deep pelvic massage, accupressure, hot-tub, and nothing worked except the narcotics. I guess he thinks I am in this for the drugs. I don't know! Anyway, I was talking to my husband on the way home. I told him I wondered how many other women and men who have adhesions have been told they need to talk to a psychologist. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I do admit that I get depressed from time to time, but I am not depressed all the time. I know when I am and I tell my husband. It is usually when I am hurting really bad and feel helpless as to when and where I can get help or when will this ever end. I think most of you can relate to these feelings. After today, I realized that I will do whatever it takes to get to Germany. I do not want to see another doctor here with exception of my pain management doctor until I can have surgery in Germany and be pain free. I know this is long. I am sorry for that. I just needed to vent to my friends here who know what I am talking about and can relate to how I feel. I am so sick of being treated like an ignorant person who has symptoms due to stress, just wants pain medicine, or pain that is all in their head. Has anyone else experienced these things?

Before Tonya left to go to Germany, I talked to her on the phone. She was talking about raising money for each of us to go to Germany to have surgery. I would love to be able to do that! maybe we can all get together and find a way we can do this! That would be great!

Anyway, I need to get off here. I hope you are all pain free.

Love and hugs, Jenny

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: