Re: Newbie Sticking It Out

Sat Jan 17 08:10:27 2004

I too suffer from severe, extensive internal scarring following any surgical procedure. Mine began at the age of 26 when I had an ectopic pregnancy requiring surgery to remove my right tube. This triggered what has become years of pain, unexplained pain and problems and excessive absence from work. I have been treated over the years for bladdar spasms and pain, as well. Just three months ago, I underwent what should have been a 2-hour surgery for complete hysterectomy (which my uriologist said would relieve much of my pain also causing the bladdar spasms but to date, it has not). The recent surgery ended up being a 4+ hour surgery because the first 2 hours of it consisted of removing so much scar tissue which had all of my organs encased and fused together. My colon and part of my intestines were "stuck down and together" so badly, this had been causing me pain/fullness and difficulty breathing, etc. I was blessed with a wonderful OBGYN who worked patiently during the surgery, along with his associate doctor, to "unstick" many of these organs and do some repair work as best as he could--all in an effort just to get to my enflammed and diseased uterius and ovaries which were covered in non-cancerous cysts. He lined and intertwined my internal organs with a special (new) fiber-type mesh substance which is suppose to help minimize additional scarring but as he described my body to be prone to major scarring, he said he wouldn't count on not developing future problems. He STRONGLY advised against future surgeries except those for critical life-threatening issues.

I also have severe IBS which I'm currently trying a new medication for. It does seem to help. I also have joint pain and get tired very easily (which has increased over the past few years). The bladdar spasms are painful, particularly if I'm in a situation where I cannot lie down and relax (relax, meaning doing the mind-clearing technique to reduce stress).

All information I have gathered, since this began for me in 1993, indicates each body is different and subject to acting/reacting to surgical and other procedures in an otherwise unpredictible manor. For someone who is facing surgery for the first time, their chances are high they may have the same misfortune. Of course mine bagan with an etopic pregnancy too large to dissolve, requiring instead a major surgery, followed by the extensive scarring. This led to the inability to ever conceive/deliver a child, as well as triggering many other health issues over the years. I'm told actual internal scarring does not, itself, cause illness but I'm convinced that what the scarring does to the organs has indeed caused me great suffering.

My body (and yours, as well) appear to be most succeptible to this scarring thing. It is good to hear from someone else who was forced down this unique path. CF, age 37, in Alabama

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: