Re: Take Back Your Life

Sun Oct 31 18:18:06 2004

Dear Ms Lee, My insurance did not pay for any of it. It is concidered experimental because it is not FDA approved. I thought of going to PA in Oct 2000. That would have cost more. I was told I needed $3,000 - $6,000 down payment. The total cost would be about 10, -15,000. I know of 2 people that it cost around 30,000. They don't take most insurance there. For as long as I could I stayed active. But over time, the pain became unbareable. I couldn't sit long enough to go to my daughters chior concerts, no amount of possitive thinking would take the pain away. We are not financially wealthy by no means. I was spending 1/4 of my husbands monthly income to pay for my prescriptions. I had raffles, that mostly my family did because I was in bed. I sold most of my cat and frog collections on ebay. I have been collecting them since I was 16 (now I am 43). It was hard to let them go, but I needed the money for my Germany surgery. I borrowed money. Asked for hand outs.

My familly (parents, brother, sisters, Aunts & cousins) gave me most of the money. I spent 3 weeks away from my family in a country I could not speak the language in. It was worth it! I flew alone there. Was I scared? Yes, not just of flying (11hours), but about being away from my family, worring about if I had enough money, what if this surgery didn't "fix" me. But after my 2nd surgery, I had new worries. How do I live a life that didn't include pain? I couldn't imagine what I would do now. I am not saying that everyone is a good canidate for this surgery. That is why when someone is wanting it, that I give them the Drs email address so they can write him about their condition and he can determine if he can help them. I am saying, don't let finances stand in your way for a life with out adhesion pain.

After I came home, I rested awhile. I then spent a month with my daughter before she had her baby, with her when she delivered my Delaney and after when she had her appendectomy.

Then I brought my niece home with me for 2 weeks while my Sis had tests done and a biopsy.

Then my Sis was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer. I helped my Mom by staying with her. I would stay 2-3 weeks at a time with her and go home for a week or two and then return. I got to spend a lot of time with her before she died. Had I not gone to Germany for surgery, I wouldn't have been able to spend any time with her. During that time, my Mom also had surgery. It was a pre cancerous something. My Mom didn't want the surgery because then no one would be there to take care of my Sis. Since I was able to be there, Mom had her surgery. If I had not gone to Germany, I wouldn't have even been able to go to my Sis' Memorial Service.

I came home from Germany with a life! I really didn't know what I was missing out on in life until I had my life back.

I just went to see my brother (5 hours away) before he shipped out. He is in the National Guard and is in training before going to Kuwait. I hope it is not the last time I see him. But I got to go, something I couldn't have done before my surgery.

We are still paying catch up with our bills, but it helps with not having to pay for all the meds and all the Drs. Don't let finances get in your way of life. robin

At Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Ms Lee wrote: >
>Dear Robin,
>
>I have been following the out of US treatments, and I think these
>options are wonderful but not everyone is a candidate whether it be
>finances, other health problems that make surgery MORE of a risk etc.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: