a few comments

Mon May 10 09:52:36 1999

I'm really tired of hearing doctors say "Well, the LAST thing you want is more surgery. suregery begets more adhesions which means more surgery and on and on, blah blah blah." This may be true in some cases but I think everyone has to be looked at as an *individual*. I don't think there are any blanket statements to be made with this problem or any other medical problem for that matter. In my own case. I had one small intestinal adhesion causing a partial bowel obstruction released, the others were left alone. Three months later I had the EXACT same pain back. Another lap 3 months later (6 months after the first) showed that the small bowel adhesion released during the first lap had NOT reoccurred. Yet the pain was the same! So, because I once again have pain I don't think this necessarily means that the second lap was a failure, or that the surgery caused more adhesions, or caused the original adhesions to reform. It may just be that the surgeon neglected one area of adhesions that is now causing pain. Or maybe one small area of adhesions did reform and one more attempt could fix the problem. They will never know if they don't look as that is the only way to accurately diagnose adhesions. This is why I think decisions about treatment have to made on an *individual* basis and if you don't agree with the doctor treating you, keep looking. Very few things in medicine are black and white. Just my two cents.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: