Adhesion Pain

Mon Feb 28 09:58:32 2000

Hello everyone.

I've been reading a lot of the messages posted for quite some time and they have been a lot of help to me. I have had five abdominal surgeries, with four of the surgeries occurring within the last five months. Let me briefly explain.... On 9/30/99 I had a beautiful baby girl by c-section. Two days later, I had to have an emergency lapa- rotomy due to the fact that my abdomen was severely distended (I looked like I was pregnant with quadruplets). They found my colon was obstructed and had to repair it. I slowly recovered and found myself in severe pain about 9 weeks later. At that time, they drained a pelvic hematoma and that brought relief for about 7 more weeks. The pain then returned and they did another laporotomy and found adhesions and an ovarian cyst. They had tried doing a laparoscopy, but couldn't get the scope in due to the adhesions. About 3 weeks after this surgery, I was back in the hospital, in pain, with another laparotomy looming. We decided that the best course of action would be to do a total hysterectomy and appendectomy while they were in there. They did those procedures, plus lysed adhesions and used Interceed. After the surgery, my surgeon told me that the adhesions weren't as severe as initially thought, but that I did have many.

I am now 3 weeks post-surgery and starting to have more pain - I'm not sure if it's related to adhesions or not. My surgeon is one of the many that doesn't put a lot of credence into "adhesion pain." I doubt if he'll want to do anything further surgically with me, and I don't want that either.

I guess my question for anyone is how do you deal with the emotional consequences of such a debilitating problem? I am currently on an anti-depressant and it is helping, but I still have thoughts of hopelessness and sometimes suicide. I want to be a worthwhile mother and wife and it is so hard when in constant pain. If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and take care all.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: